Like cultural organizations around the world, The Cleveland Orchestra has adjusted its programming because of the coronavirus pandemic.
It’s uncertain when students will be able to visit Severance Hall and hear the orchestra’s musicians in person.
“We do have several ways that students can engage with us virtually — videos from musicians on social media, our podcast series, radio broadcasts and archival recordings from the vault through our TCO Classics series,” said Rebecca Calkin, media relations manager for The Cleveland Orchestra.
The virtual offerings can be accessed at clevelandorchestra.com/athome.
Here are some highlights:
· TCO Classics – A new series of free, on-demand full-length concert recordings pulled from the orchestra’s extensive recorded archives. New recordings every month. clevelandorchestra.com/tcoclassics
· On A Personal Note podcast – Cleveland Orchestra musicians — and Music Director Franz Welser-Möst — share stories about the music that shaped their lives. Then, hear a portion of the recording. clevelandorchestra.com/podcast
· A New Century –A new box set featuring six recording that proudly showcase the partnership between The Cleveland Orchestra and music director Franz Welser-Möst. The debut recording on the Orchestra’s own record label. clevelandorchestra.com/News-and-Updates/Sound-Recordings/new-centur/
· Lunchtime with The Cleveland Orchestra – A daily radio broadcast on Classical WCLV 104.9 ideastream (on the radio and online) at noon featuring Cleveland Orchestra recordings.
• Mindful Music Moments videos – Four-minute mindfulness prompts coupled with classical music. This program, originally designed to bring calm and focus to students (played during morning announcements), has been adapted to video. youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3zevNxAsOJ8O6LiSv7pQOx9RrXkWt51g
· Cleveland Orchestra Musician videos – During the pandemic, orchestra musicians have been recording mini-concerts from their homes. youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3zevNxAsOJ_4GRtBwCNlTAprzrvLwwNM
· Learn @ Home resources – A variety of resources for kids and families to learn about music, including the orchestra’s Music Explorers web series, lesson library and activity pages.